Top Hawkeyes Spartans in B1G Tournament Quarterfinals – University of Iowa Athletics
DONG LANCING, Mich. – The University of Iowa’s fifth-seeded team defeated 4 Michigan State, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament at DeMartin Soccer Complex. The Hawkeyes advance to the semifinals, where they will meet the winner of this afternoon’s game between Wisconsin and the Rutgers.
Goalkeeper Macy Enneking made four first-half saves for the Hawkeyes as both teams went into halftime.
Then, in the 69th minute, fifth-year senior Alyssa Walker stripped the ball from a Michigan State defender and headed straight for the net, slamming the winning goal into the bottom right corner past Big Ten goalkeeper Lauren Kozal. .
Iowa’s defense has been solid since then, surging past Michigan State’s seven shots on goal to win 1-0 and continue the season.
LISTEN FROM COACH DAVE DIIANNI
“I am delighted for our team with today’s results. Credit to Michigan State, who had a great season. They put a lot of pressure on us in the first half and we were lucky to get away with the goal 0-0. However, our team was undaunted during halftime, adjusted to the changes we were going to make and executed well to close the game. They played and competed at the highest level when they needed the best they could. We look forward to keeping our team together for another week. ”
- The Hawkeyes have won 5 consecutive games in the Big Ten Tournament, including 4 consecutive losses by Enneking; Iowa has won six of its last seven games of the season since last season.
- Iowa and Michigan State each posted 17 shots, seven shots on target, and six saves in the afternoon; The Hawkeyes avenged the 2-1 loss in the regular season at the hands of Sparty.
- Enneking’s six saves peaked for the third time in her season.
- Walker’s nine goals and 20 points have left Iowa under attack this season.
- 90 FOLLOWERS: Sara Wheaton (18), Samantha Cary (13), Rielee Fetty (11), Riley Whitaker (six), Hailey Rydberg (five), and Addie Bundy (four) each played Sunday’s entire match. A total of 14 players in the Hawkeye position have registered at least 90 minutes in a game so far this season. They include Olivia Hellweg (two), Miah Schueller, Aleisha Ganief, Courtney Powell and Kenzie Roling. Alyssa Walker, Meike Ingles and Maggie Johnston.
The defending Big Ten tournament champions advance to the semifinals, where they will face the winner of Sunday’s game between Rutgers and Wisconsin. The match is set for Thursday, November 4, at a TBD venue.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/10/31/hawkeyes-top-spartans-in-b1g-tournament-quarterfinals/ Top Hawkeyes Spartans in B1G Tournament Quarterfinals – University of Iowa Athletics