Star Citizen reports November and December updates on NPC behavior, ships, rendering and locations
If you’re wondering what StarCitizen was up late last year but was concerned because there were no monthly reports, consider your concerns allayed because CIG has summarized both November and December in one summary. This is super handy and doesn’t indicate at all a team that forgot to turn in their homework.
Let’s go through a few highlights of this round-up, shall we?
- In the AI section, a lot of the work focused on NPC pathfinding, considering things like elevators, airlocks, and ground vehicles, among other things.
- The ship graphics hint at pipeline progress for the Corsair, the Spirit, and work on an unannounced vehicle and a new small ship.
- The Gen12 renderer saw a number of updates to improve lighting and performance, while additional engine work for volumetric clouds and physics also took center stage.
- Most of the feature team focused on starship racetracks, although the section ends with a word about “an unannounced update to a classic Arena Commander mode” to be fleshed out “in the coming months.”
- Eventually, the various site teams expanded on previously unreleased areas such as a derelict Pyro space station, underground facilities, additional hangar freight elevators, and a law firm. That’s probably important.
Longtime MMORPG players will know this StarCitizen originally launched in 2012 for over $2 million with a planned launch in 2014. As of 2022, it still lingers in an incomplete but playable alpha, after years of raising over $500 million from players through continuous crowdfunding and the sale of in-game ships and other assets. It is currently the highest-funded video game of all time and has endured both the steadfast loyalty of proponents and immense skepticism from critics. A jointly developed single player title, squadron 42was always delayed.
https://massivelyop.com/2023/01/19/star-citizen-recounts-november-and-december-updates-to-npc-behavior-ships-rendering-and-locations/ Star Citizen reports November and December updates on NPC behavior, ships, rendering and locations