Snakebite Treatment: Family’s urgent summer warning after toddler was bitten twice by deadly snake

A NSW toddler is lucky to be alive after being bitten twice by a deadly brown snake.

The Poole family of the state’s Central Coast are now warning others about the summer following their nightmarish ordeal.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: A two-year-old NSW boy survives after being bitten twice by a snake.

Check out the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

Petrine Poole told 7NEWS she was horrified when her two-year-old son Riley told her he had been bitten.

“He just said, ‘Mom, a snake bit my leg,'” she said.

Riley was taken to Mudgee Hospital, an hour’s drive from the family farm in Bylong.

Petrine Poole told 7NEWS she was horrified when her two-year-old son Riley told her he had been bitten. Recognition: 7NEWS

However, a NSW Ambulance paramedic urged Petrine to “stay exactly where you are and keep him as immobile as possible”.

An ambulance managed to reach the distraught family outside of Bylong.

“As we left the house, we panicked, we didn’t even know which way to go,” Petrine said.

“The drive was pure hell for 40 minutes.

Experts say Riley was very lucky to survive the bites. Recognition: 7NEWS

“Because we didn’t know if it was 40 minutes of precious time wasted, it was awful.

“But he was so ridiculously brave.”

Upon arrival, paramedics found not one, but two snakebites on Riley.

“I feared the absolute worst,” said Petrine.

“I immediately thought, oh my god, it really got to him. How bad is it, how will he survive.”

Remarkably, however, both punches were “dry,” meaning Riley was not injected with venom.

Riley was taken to Mudgee Hospital, an hour’s drive from the family farm in Bylong. Recognition: 7NEWS

Experts say Riley was extremely lucky to survive the potentially deadly bites.

“I’d say the young lad only had a little defensive bite. And he got off really, really happy,” Australian Reptile Park’s Billy Collett told 7NEWS.

Petrina says she saw six deadly brown snakes in six weeks.

Collett warns that the warmer months create the perfect conditions for snakes to reproduce.

“All their stars have aligned. They have great environments, there’s plenty of food, lots of shelter — and they’ll breed,” he said.

While around 750 hospitals across Australia stock antidotes, knowing exactly what to do immediately after a bite is crucial.

Experts say the best course of action if you think you or someone else has been bitten is to call Triple-Zero, hold the patient still and apply a pressure bandage.

“We like it when it’s tight… to the point where you can’t get your finger under the bandage,” NSW Ambulance Inspector Dominic Wong told 7NEWS.

Petrina echoes this advice and urges other parents to be careful.

“Teach your kids to tell you when they’re bitten, teach your kids to stand still when there’s a snake around,” she said.

Little girl saves drowning toddler in swimming pool.

Little girl saves drowning toddler in swimming pool.

https://7news.com.au/news/nsw/familys-urgent-summer-warning-after-toddler-was-bitten-by-deadly-snake-twice–c-9118251 Snakebite Treatment: Family’s urgent summer warning after toddler was bitten twice by deadly snake

James Brien

24ssports is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@24ssports.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button