Shylah Rodden, the 26-year-old woman who was hit by a roller coaster at the Royal Melbourne Show, faces another blow to her road to recovery after a fundraiser for her stalled.
Rodden was struck by the Rebel Coaster on September 25th. She was rushed to the hospital and left in critical condition with injuries to her face and body.
She is believed to have gone onto the track to get her phone when she was hit by a moving vehicle and thrown into the air on impact, falling 9m to the ground.
Watch the latest news on Channel 7 or stream for free on 7plus >>
Earlier this week, the Royal Melbourne Hospital confirmed her condition had changed from critical to serious as she began to improve.
As a result, some of her friends set up a GoFundMe page in hopes of raising $20,000 to support her recovery.
Unfortunately, as of 6:30 a.m. Saturday, only 32 people had donated, leaving her $18,750 short after the campaign had been online for 10 days.
Sylvia Dess, who describes herself as a close family friend, started the fundraiser because she said she wanted to raise money to help out after the “tragic incident” at the fairground.
At the time of the accident, Jordan, whose last name has been withheld, told 7NEWS.com.au he was filming the Rebel Coaster ride while his sister Chloe and partner Alex were in the front car, cruising around a loop.
7NEWS.com.au has chosen not to publish the full video.
Jordan witnessed the moments leading up to the collision and says he “hasn’t slept since.”
“We saw a woman in an area where she shouldn’t be. A worker told her to go away but we couldn’t hear the whole conversation, she just told her not to be there. That person started walking away and I didn’t think much about it,” he said.
“It all happened so quickly, but so slowly. All of a sudden, I saw someone commit, but at the same time I’m like, ‘Shit, my sister, my partner.’
However, when they did, the ride hit Rodden.
Melbourne Royal Show CEO Brad Jenkins said the incident “shocked the entire show community”.
“Our thoughts are first and foremost with the young woman involved in the tragic accident and with her family and friends. It’s totally devastating,” Jenkins said.
After a WorkSafe inspection report, the ride was declared safe and reopened to the masses.
Rodden’s family mulls legal action against the ride operators. She previously survived a serious car accident in 2018 and is pursuing a separate civil suit.
https://7news.com.au/news/vic/new-setback-for-rollercoaster-victim-shylah-rodden-as-a-gofundme-campaign-fails-to-hit-target-c-8482455 Roller Coaster Shylah Rodden: Another setback for roller coaster victim Shylah Rodden as a GoFundMe campaign fails to meet its goal