I receive remuneration for the content and the many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this website, as are American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. All opinions expressed in this post are my own and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I’m not writing about all the credit cards available, instead focusing on miles, points, and cashback (and currencies that can be converted into them). Terms and Conditions apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
The Citi Premier® card is a great tool for frequent flyers to quickly earn points and transfer those points to some great travel partners.
What’s new is that the initial bonus offer has just been increased. In addition to the 60,000 bonus ThankYou® points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening, there is a time-limited addition: Earn a total of 10 ThankYou® points per $1 spent on Hotels, rental cars and attractions (excluding air travel) booked on the Citi Travel℠ portal by June 30, 2024.
As of this writing, that means more than a year of significantly higher revenue from the travel portal, and there is no cap.
It’s also a good card for running expenses:
- 3 points per dollar spent at gas stations, air travel and other hotels
- 3 points per dollar spent at restaurants and supermarkets
- 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
Of course you can redeem points for gift cards or travel etc. but points can be transferred to a variety of frequent flyer programs including:
- sky team: Aeromexico Club Premier, Air France KLM Flying Blue, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- One World: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- star alliance: Avianca LifeMiles, EVA Air Infinity MileageLands, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- non-alliance: Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, JetBlue TrueBlue
- Hotels: Wyndham Rewards, Choice Privileges (1000 -> 2000!)
There’s also an annual hotel savings benefit: once per calendar year, receive a $100 rebate on a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) booked through Thankyou.com.
Some of you will take full advantage of this new limited-time offer. And some of you combine it with a Citi Double Cash card with no annual fee to earn double the spend that card doesn’t award a bonus on, and transfer those points to your Citi Premier Card account.
More from View from the Wing
Editor’s Note: Any opinion, analysis, review, or recommendation expressed in this article is solely the author’s and has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. Comments made in response to this post are not provided, commissioned, banked, approved, or otherwise endorsed. It is also not the responsibility of advertisers Citibank, Chase, American Express, Barclays, Capital One or any other advertiser to ensure that questions are answered. Terms and Conditions and Restrictions apply to all offers.