The AFL’s two South Australian clubs have released eight players in one day after attending numerous exit meetings.
Adelaide released Tyler Brown after the former Collingwood midfielder spent just one season with the Crows.
The 23-year-old joined the club in January and played in the first round but did not play another AFL game.
Analysis, local football and the biggest moments: Seven and 7plus are home to football shows for every fan. Stream them all for free 7plus >>
The Crows also left Jackson Hately and Andrew McPherson off the list, as well as the untested Tariek Newchurch.
Hately, who was keen to join the Crows when he left the GWS Giants at the end of 2020, and McPherson both played 28 games but were unable to secure a regular place.
“These are always difficult decisions that unfortunately have to be made at this time of year,” said Adelaide list manager Justin Reid.
Port Adelaide, meanwhile, made moves with Riley Bonner and former North Melbourne regular Trent Dumont, as well as Brynn Teakle and Nathan Barkla.
Bonner played 93 games, but the 26-year-old fell out of favor this year.
After 113 games for North Melbourne, Dumont played eight times for the Power last year but failed to break through into the club’s AFL ranks this season.
Teakle is out after being drafted mid-campaign last season.
Three rival players – Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea, Essendon’s Brandon Zerk-Thatcher and the Western Bulldogs’ Jordon Sweet – have told their clubs they want to join Port when the official trading period begins on October 9.
Port Adelaide is yet to make a decision about record holder Travis Boak’s games.
Boak had a “positive” meeting with Power coach Ken Hinkley in Alberton on Tuesday and signaled his intention to play an 18th season.
“This is my home,” Boak said.
“This club is really going in a good direction under the leadership of Kenny and this group of players.
“We didn’t finish this year the way we wanted, but this young group is taking this club forward and that’s why I want to be a part of it.
“I still feel like I have a lot left in my body and I still have fire in my belly.”
Port’s season ended with consecutive finals defeats after finishing third in the home and away season.
Boak made a solid contribution with 21 disposals in Saturday’s semi-final loss to Greater Western Sydney, his 348th AFL game.
“It was good, a really good conversation,” the 35-year-old said of his meeting with Hinkley.
“I’m still working on some of the details, but it was a really positive conversation.
“This is a big decision, so we will take as long as we need.”
Boak’s successor as captain, Tom Jonas, withdrew with a calf injury which prevented him from taking part in the finals.