Given the dark fantasy, medieval aesthetic of Elden Ring, it’s just that the game has lots of dragons. One of these dragons, Flying Dragon Greyll, is an optional boss that you will face if you want to access the Bestial Sanctum without using D’s Consignment Portal. If you can defeat the flying dragon, you will walk away with 80,000 Runes, as well as a Dragon Heart. Here’s how to defeat this Great Foe.
Before fighting Greyll, we recommend you level up quite a bit, as well as strengthen the weapon of your choice. We fought Greyll while at level 60, with most of our skill points distributed according to strength. The weapon we use is a Great Sword +8. Remember that this boss has a ridiculous amount of health. In our experience, it took about 10 minutes to take it down.
Greyll Flying Dragon’s Attacks
Greyll’s attacks are varied and all of them are capable of killing you in one hit. You’ll have an easier time making its powerful moves if you’re mounted. Here are each of its attacks and how you should react to them:
- Stumbling: Greyll will raise one of its paws and stomp the ground, dealing AOE damage. This move is easy to read and easy to punish. When Greyll lifts his leg, go behind the boss and wait for it to drop. Then, rush in, hit it’s leg with a heavy attack, and run away. If you’re lucky, the boss can prepare another stomp while you’re retreating, in which case you can repeat the process above for another hit.
- Teleport Charge: Greyll will occasionally lunge forward while trying to bite you. If you are near Greyll as it prepares for this attack, you can dive under it to avoid the hitbox. Otherwise, run away if you are far from the dragon.
- Tail Sweep: This is one of Greyll’s deadliest moves and is quite difficult to avoid. The dragon will usually attack this attack when you are behind it. If you see the dragon’s tail start to curl slightly, it will probably use this move. When you see this, go as far as you can. It can be dodged if you place yourself near the dragon’s chest, but in our experience this method is not always effective and is sometimes proven to be a killer.
- Jumping slam: Like other dragons, Greyll will fly high in the air before trying to knock you down. Run away if you see Greyll fly up. If you can’t get far enough, you can usually avoid the hitbox for this attack by jumping/double jumping when Greyll lands.
- Fire Attack: Greyll has a lot of such attacks and they can be a real pain to avoid.
- Ground Fire: Upon landing, Greyll will simply breathe fire in front of it. This is an easy attack to punish if you can get under the dragon before it starts spewing fire. We can usually do this by accelerating towards it from the left (right side of the dragon) and running through the gap between its head and wings. However, if you are too far away from the dragon when it is about to use this attack, just run away from it.
- Floating Flame Attack: If Greyoll jumps up and begins to hover slightly above the ground, dash away from the dragon in a frenzy. This means it will cover the area around it with flames, which will likely kill you in a single hit.
- Breathe in Fire: Greyll will leap backwards and hover in the air, before flaming a long stretch of the bridge. There are two ways to avoid this attack. The safer option is to simply run away from the dragon until the attack is over. However, if Greyll isn’t that far away from you once it jumps backwards, you can run after it, where the attack’s hit won’t be able to reach you.
Staying on your mount is key in this fight. If you’re building a melee build, your best bet is to destroy the dragon’s health using heavy attacks attached to its legs. After the dragon does any of its melee attacks, you should be able to get a good hit before running away.
For ranged fire attacks, the only way you should look for punishment is a grounded fire attack. If you can get past Greyll while it’s scrolling, you can get a good hit or two before running away. We strongly recommend booking if you see any signs that it is about to launch another attack.
Thankfully, Greyll can stagger after repeated attacks on its legs. During our battle, we were able to stagger the dragon twice. When it’s wobbly, you’ll be able to attack the glowing red part on its head to deal severe damage.
Through chip damage and occasional crits, Flying Dragon Greyll will be grounded and you’ll be able to get a huge amount of Runes.
https://www.gamepur.com/guides/how-to-defeat-flying-dragon-greyll-in-elden-ring How to defeat Flying Dragon Greyll in Elden Ring