Hotel group fined after chefs burn themselves from spilled oil

Melbourne restaurant operators have been fined $35,000 after two workers were injured in an oil spill.

One of the chefs was transferring oil from the fryers to a waste disposal facility at The Cheeky Squire in Frankston when she tripped over a crate in January 2021.

The hot oil spilled onto another cook, causing second-degree burns on his legs and minor burns on his back.

Check out the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

He was taken to the hospital and had to undergo a skin graft.

The woman also suffered minor burns.

A WorkSafe investigation found that employees had been using pots to move hot oil for about two months because the portable filtration system was not working.

The cook who carried the pot had only been working at the Frankston site for four weeks and was unaware the oil filter machine existed.

The Australian Leisure and Hospitality Group – which runs The Cheeky Squire – pleaded guilty in Frankston Magistrates Court last week to failing to provide and maintain a safe work environment.

The company was fined $35,000 and ordered to pay $4,409 in costs.

On Tuesday, a spokesman for Endeavor Group, which operates ALH hotels, said their priority is always the health and safety of team members and customers.

“We regret that this incident has occurred and have taken immediate action to ensure it does not happen again,” the spokesman told AAP.

James Brien

James Brien is a 24ssports U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. James Brien joined 24ssports in 2021 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing:

Related Articles

Back to top button