Families of three dead from suspected mushroom poisoning in Gippsland break their silence

As homicide detectives investigate the deaths of three people who suspected they ate poisonous mushrooms at a luncheon in south Gippsland, Victoria, their families have come forward.

Two sisters, aged 66 and 70, died in hospital on August 4.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Four people poisoned at private lunch in Gippsland

Watch the latest news and stream for free 7plus >>

A 70-year-old man died in hospital on August 5.

A 68-year-old man remains hospitalized.

“It is with deep sadness that we share the news of a tragic event that has deeply affected our families, friends and the church community,” the statement said.

While the statement did not identify those affected by the incident, it did note how much the three deceased would be missed by their congregation, family and friends

“Our beloved family members, whose names we will not name here out of respect for their privacy, were valued people,” they said.

“They were parents, grandparents, siblings, children and pillars of faith in our community. Her love, unwavering faith and selfless service have left an indelible mark on our families, Korumburra Baptist Church, the local community and indeed people around the world.

“We find comfort in the love of God, knowing that they are now in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

The statement also spoke of the one man who is believed to have eaten the mushrooms and is in the hospital.

Three people have died and one man contracted mushroom poisoning after sharing a meal. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS) Credit: AAP

“We thank our larger communities from the bottom of our hearts for their love, support and prayers. This support goes not only to those we have tragically lost, but also to our family member who continues to fight valiantly for his life in hospital.”

The statement continued, “We also want to express our deep appreciation to the staff at the hospitals who cared for them.” Their tireless dedication, expertise and compassionate care for our families have been a source of comfort during this difficult time. “

7NEWS understands the group fell ill after having lunch at a home in Leongatha on July 30.

The next day they were all taken to Leongatha Hospital, where their condition worsened.

They were then transferred to the intensive care unit at Dandenong Hospital.

It is not yet known what type of mushroom the group ate.

“At this time, the exact circumstances are still being clarified and it is not known if the matter is suspicious,” Victoria Police said.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.

James Brien

James Brien is a 24ssports U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. James Brien joined 24ssports in 2021 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing: jamesbrien@24ssports.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button