‘Didn’t invite him’ – LIV boss Greg Norman denied entry to 150th anniversary Open event FirstSportz

Gregory Norman
Gregory Norman






In the recent allusion to the schism in gulf caused by the breakaway LIV tour, neither Phil Mickelson nor Gregory Norman will be featured in past champion events leading up to the 150th Open Championship. While Mickelson will of his own volition miss Monday’s Celebration of Champions 4-hole challenge and the following evening’s Champions Dinner, Norman was informed by the R&A that he would not be welcome at either.

The R&A, which hosts the Open, hinted that Norman’s involvement in the controversial LIV golf series would be an unwelcome distraction. Former champions are taking part in Monday’s four-hole challenge, but LIV Golf CEO Norman will not be taking part. The 1986 and 1993 Open winner called the decision not to invite him “petty”. “I would have thought the R&A would stand above all given its position in world golf.” said the Australian.

Also Read: ‘One of the World’s Most Elite Players’: Greg Norman Praises Brooks Koepka’s Move to LIV Golf

“More than Four Decades”

Gregory Norman
Gregory Norman

Norman, the flagship of the Saudi-backed LIV series, won the Open in 1986 and 1993 but is now at odds with the existing golf ecosystem. In a statement, the R&A confirmed that having Norman at St Andrew’s was an unwelcome distraction. “In response to inquiries regarding the R&A Celebration of Champions field and the Champions Dinner, we can confirm that we have contacted Greg Norman to let him know that we have decided not to invite him to the occasion.” it said.

Also Read: ‘It’s a Choice’: Greg Norman Expresses Disappointment at PGA Tour’s Suspension of LIV Golf Series Players

“The 150th Open is an extremely important milestone for the sport of golf and we want to ensure that the focus remains on celebrating the championship and its legacy.”. The 67-year-old has become a controversial figure in golf since he oversaw the eight-event, Saudi Arabian-backed, $250m (£200m) LIV golf series. “Unfortunately, we don’t think that would be the case if Greg attended. We hope that Greg will be able to compete again in the future when circumstances allow.”

Norman replied by saying: “[It’s] irrelevant because all I have done is promote and spread the game of golf worldwide, on and off the golf course, and have done so for more than four decades.” The R&A said last month LIV players who qualified will be allowed to compete at St Andrews, where the Open begins on Thursday. LIV Golf has so far hosted two of its planned eight events in 2022, with 2017 Open champion Jordan Spieth describing rumors he was considering joining the breakaway circuit on Friday night as “categorically untrue”.

Also Read: ‘I’ll Be Here All Week’ – Paige Spiranac Reacts to Rory McIlroy Shadowing LIV Golf Invitational and Greg Norman

https://firstsportz.com/golf-news-liv-chief-greg-norman-barred-entry-from-the-opens-150th-anniversary-event/ ‘Didn’t invite him’ – LIV boss Greg Norman denied entry to 150th anniversary Open event FirstSportz

Subhankar Mondal

24ssports is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@24ssports.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button