Games

Destiny 2 Maker is blasting the YouTube takedown system in a wild lament

Destiny 2 Guardians battle a Cabal Commander.

image: Bungie

Earlier this month a series of destiny 2 YouTube videos, including some from high-profile content creators and even Bungie itself, have been hit Warnings for fraudulent copyright infringement generated by fake Google accounts. Bungie is now trying to sue those responsible and has chided YouTube for being tricked in the first place by alleged scammers.

the determination Earlier this month, the copyright takedown frenzy began, hitting soundtrack videos, cutscenes, and eventually other content, including videos posted by Bungie itself. Streamers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers like My Name is Byf and AztecRoss were also hit, leading to a mini freakout that Bungie had changed its content creation policies, which have traditionally been extremely lax.

“These actions are NOT being taken at the request of Bungie or our partners,” the company wrote at the time to allay player concerns. “Please wait for future updates.”

Bungie is now taking the matter to court to determine who is responsible for the rogue takedowns, according to a new lawsuit filed March 25 first reported by TorrentFreak. The complaint, filed in the Western District of Washington, targets up to 10 currently unidentified John Does accused of using fraudulent DMCA takedown notices to “disrupt Bungie’s community of players, streamers and fans and cause near incalculable damage to Bungie.” “.

While the studio is still gathering information to uncover the identity of the scammers, the lawsuit says it believes the fraudulent takedowns may have been in retaliation determination Soundtrack videos Bungie removed from YouTube earlier this month. The fraudulent deactivations apparently began a day after the authorized deactivations were completed and used a fake Gmail address very similar to that used in those previous deactivations.

But wait, it gets even weirder. According to the lawsuit, at least one of the people apparently responsible for the fraudulent takedowns emailed some of the affected YouTube accounts with a “manifesto” explaining why. “If you’re looking to blame this, place it on YouTube for its shoddy copyright removal system and Bungie for ignoring this issue for so long,” it reads.

The lawsuit also targets YouTube’s overall copyright takedown system, which Bungie accuses of being easy to play and hard to fix:

Bungie had to devote significant internal resources to addressing the issue and helping its players recover their videos and channels – an effort complicated by the fact that while YouTube has a form for anyone to claim copyright ownership and issue copyright warnings, but does not have a specific mechanism for copyright owners posing to notify YouTube of the DMCA scam. As detailed below, this meant that Bungie had to work through multiple layers of YouTube contacts before it could adequately communicate and begin resolving the issue.

According to Bungie, it first contacted its YouTube account representative on March 19, but received an out-of-office reply. It then contacted Google’s Head of Games Publishers and received another out-of-office reply. A day later, it was still bouncing emails until YouTube’s Director of Gaming Publishers and Commerce Content Partners finally responded and asked if Bungie had submitted a helpdesk ticket. As recently as March 22, YouTube responded that it had taken action against the fake accounts and reversed the fraudulent deactivations.

“Thanks to YouTube’s easy-to-play reporting system, the attack was a success, and videos were removed on the basis of fraudulent takedown (and YouTubers were issued ‘copyright strikes’ that, under YouTube Rules, endanger the viability of their YouTube channels). clues,” write Bungie’s attorneys. While the lawsuit isn’t targeting YouTube, it says that initiating civil proceedings was the only way to get Google to share information about the identity of the alleged pranksters.

DMCA takedown claims are a mess online, especially on YouTube. You have become lightly armed and lead to it a lot of headaches for content creatorswhose work is based on commentaries, remixes or parodies of source material they do not own. As the destiny 2 Fiasco shows, it can also create problems for service games, which rely on enthusiastic fan communities to drive the kind of engagement that funds them and keeps them alive years after release. It’s also a reminder that content creators are ultimately at the mercy of the platforms and gaming companies they produce content for.

https://kotaku.com/destiny-2-copyright-takedown-bungie-lawsuit-youtube-acc-1848713200 Destiny 2 Maker is blasting the YouTube takedown system in a wild lament

Curtis Crabtree

24ssports is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@24ssports.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button