A snake catcher was forced to remove a deadly snake from a Queensland hospital after a bite victim, against all known advice, took it away.
Drew Godfrey of Hervey Bay Snake Catchers was called to Hervey Bay Hospital last Friday night when staff reported what they believed to be a young black snake with a red belly.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Deadly snake removed from Queensland hospital.
Check out the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
A man who was bitten by the snake put it in a plastic container and took it with him to the hospital when he sought treatment.
Godfrey says the move goes against his advice – and that of Queensland Health.
“The hospital probably has the same duty of care that I do, which is to tell people never to touch them because that’s the best way not to get bitten,” Godfrey told 7NEWS.com.au.
The experienced snake catcher also said the victim was mistaken in believing a red belly was black.
He said the snake is an eastern small-eyed snake that is described as extremely venomous.
“A red belly probably won’t kill anyone,” Godfrey said.
“It’s more likely – an untreated bite – to be necrotic and you could lose a thumb, for example, than it will kill you.
“An eastern small-eyed snake, an untreated bite has caused at least one death, while red-bellied black snakes have never killed anyone.
“So it’s fair to say that eastern small-eyed snakes are significantly more venomous than red-bellied black snakes.”
The patient has recovered from the bite and has been discharged from the hospital.
Advice on a Queensland Health website confirms that people should not catch snakes and take them to hospitals.
Hospital staff don’t need to know the identity of the snake species to treat patients, it said.
“Don’t try to identify, capture, harm, or kill the snake — you’ll likely come second best,” the website advises.
“At the hospital, staff have access to a range of tests that can help them determine the likely snake you were bitten by and allow them to give you the most appropriate treatment.”
Wide Bay Hospital and Health Service confirmed that the patient brought the snake with him to the emergency room.
“We would like to warn community members of the risk of snakebite and encourage them to minimize it by ensuring they do not pick up or handle snakes unless they are professionals and that it involves a snake if they do.” Coming to hospital is not necessary and can actually endanger others,” spokesman Ben Ross-Edwards told 7NEWS.com.au.
“WBHHS urges the community to exercise caution to avoid being bitten by snakes and to provide vital first aid in the event of a snake bite.
“Where possible, people with a suspected or known snakebite should seek medical attention as soon as possible after the bite.”
https://7news.com.au/news/snakes/deadly-snake-removed-from-queensland-hospital-after-bite-patient-brings-it-with-him-c-9556178 Deadly snake removed from Queensland hospital after bite patient brought it home