Collingwood veteran Jeremy Howe shares an update on his recovery from a horrific broken arm
Collingwood veteran Jeremy Howe has returned to the AFL club a month after suffering a horrific arm injury.
Howe broke his arm in a gruesome injury in Round 1 against Geelong that was too graphic to show in replays.
WATCH VIDEO ABOVE: Taylor Adams police ban, Jeremy Howe talks recovery
Analysis, local football and biggest moments, Seven and 7plus are home to football shows for every fan. Stream them all for free on 7plus >>
He was rushed straight to the hospital and, when subsequent scans showed three separate fractures in his arm, had surgery.
But two weeks later he was back in the hospital to be treated for an infection in his arm.
He finally returned to the club last week and took a big step in his recovery.
“I was good, I was able to return to the club this week,” Howe told 7NEWS Melbourne.
“I started running today, actual bone wise it tracks really well.”
There’s no timeframe for the 32-year-old’s return just yet, but he’s hoping it will be in the latter half of the season.
“If it was just my bone everything would be fine, I’d be back mid-year … But since it was such a traumatic incident, the inside of my forearm is badly damaged.”
The Magpies have given St Kilda their first loss of the season but are dealing with a long injury list.
Defender Nathan Murphy suffered a concussion in an off-the-ball incident with Anthony Caminiti facing a lengthy suspension after being sent straight to the tribunal
Murphy will miss next week’s Anzac Day blockbuster against Essendon, while versatile great Dan McStay could be out for several weeks after damaging a tendon on his finger.
“I’m feeling good so just wait it out… don’t have any results back yet,” McStay said Monday.
With Ruckmann’s first choice, Darcy Cameron, and his tall colleague Mason Cox also unavailable, Nathan Kreuger could be in line to return.
But Taylor Adams could miss the clash at the top of the table after being suspended for a game for a sling tackle.
The Pies could choose to challenge the charges before the tribunal, along with the Bombers, who will fight Zach Merrett’s ban on a similar attack.