My kitchen rules Judge Colin Fassnidge and two of this year’s contestants, identical twin sisters Radha and Prabha, showed Kylie and Larry how to make a lamb rogan josh dish, which they prepare every Father’s Day in honor of their late father.
Don’t miss the brand new season of MKR, starting this Monday at 7:30 p.m. on 7 and 7Plus.
Lamb Rogan Josh
For more Cooking On 7 / Recipes news and videos, visit Cooking On 7 / Recipes >>
Steamed basmati rice for serving
Finely chopped mint and coriander and halved small green chillies for garnish
3 tablespoons garam masala
1 tbsp ground cumin powder
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground black pepper
¾ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 quantity spice mixture (as above)
2 large brown onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp ghee
800g boneless shoulder of lamb, cut into 4cm pieces
1 cinnamon stick
6 green cardamom pods, crushed
1 tsp black mustard seeds
20 curry leaves
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp salt
1 kg lamb bones
250g natural yoghurt
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cumin, toasted, ground
1 teaspoon jaggery (grated)
2 medium-sized tomatoes, seeded and cut into 5mm cubes
1 small brown onion, cut into 5mm cubes
1 Lebanese cucumber, deseeded and cut into 5mm cubes
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 small green chilli, finely chopped
salt to taste
- For the spice mix, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- To prepare rogan josh, add lamb and one of the chopped onions to the spice mixture in the bowl. Rub the spices into the meat and onions with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Melt the ghee in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, mustard seeds, and curry leaves and cook for a minute. Add the remaining onion slices and cook, stirring, about 7 minutes or until the pieces are golden and beginning to brown around the edges. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and salt. Stir in the lamb mixture. Stir in the lamb bones. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer uncovered for a further 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the lamb can be pulled apart with two forks.
- Meanwhile, to prepare raita, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until required.
- To make a tomato and cucumber salad, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Season. Refrigerate until required.
- Serve lamb rogan josh with basmati rice, cucumber raita and tomato and cucumber salad. Garnish with chopped mint, coriander and green chilies.
- We bought a whole shoulder of lamb on the bone and then asked our butcher to debone and shred the bones. We have offered here an easier option of buying the lamb and bones separately as this may be more readily available.
- We cooked our Rogan Josh in a pressure cooker that day due to time constraints (we didn’t actually turn on the pressure part of the pressure cooker – we only used this pot as it was a better and bigger pot to cook with 😉). ) This recipe is stovetop based and you can also cook it in the oven at 160ºC if required.
- The longer you marinate the lamb in the spice mix, the better the depth of flavor.