Adds Clippers coach Tyronn Lue to the growing list of NBA personnel removed from the league’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
In his place, assistant Brian Shaw will be head coach for a staff that has been without defensive coordinator Dan Craig, who had knee surgery three weeks ago. Lue was the first on a US-based NBA team to test positive while in Canada.
Shaw joined the Clippers’ coaching staff this season and previously served as head coach of the Denver Nuggets from 2013 to 2015, when he had a 56-85 record.
Lue’s status makes it the six NBA head coaches in protocols; he joins Doc Rivers (Philadelphia), Michael Malone (Denver), Monty Williams (Phoenix), Billy Donovan (Chicago), Chauncey Billups (Portland) and Mark Daigneault (OKC) on that list. The Lakers’ Frank Vogel cleared Friday’s protocols, as did Indiana’s Rick Carlisle and Sacramento’s Alvin Gentry before that.
Player-wise, the Clippers – scheduled to play in Toronto at 4:30pm today – have three players in the protocols: starting center-back Ivica Zubac, rookie guard Brandon Boston Jr. and two-way guard Jay Scrubb.
Point guard Reggie Jackson cleared the protocols on Wednesday and had problems playing against the Raptors. Moses Wright – who signed a tough 10-day contract with the Clippers – is also on the protocols, but his brief tenure with the team has come to an end. Previously, Marcus Morris Sr. and Nicolas Batum missed the time in the protocols.
After scoring another 20 plus points in Wednesday’s second game, Morris said he’s experiencing some of the effects of COVID-19.
“I definitely feel a little weird,” he said. “I feel like my breath is a little bit, you know, a little funny. But (crap), you know, we have a job to do. So I went out and just kept playing my game and kept helping my team win.”
In addition, the Clippers are missing five injured players, led by Kawhi Leonard (who is recovering from surgery to repair the ACL) and Paul George (who has torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right elbow). Key subs Batum and Isaiah Hartenstein sprained their ankles and rookie Jason Preston continues to recover from foot surgery.
To help fill that gap in talent and personnel, the Clippers – aged 18-17 and currently sixth on the Western Conference standings – have added three players in 10-day deals: rookies Xavier Moon, veteran defender James Ennis III and, on Friday, Wenyen Gabriel.
Gabriel’s 10-day deal with the Nets, where the 24-year-old plays one minute, expired on Thursday night. A 6-foot-9 forward, Gabriel previously appeared in 51 regular-season games for Sacramento, Portland and New Orleans throughout the 2019 to 2021 season.
His deal will run until January 9.
Friday’s Clippers’ game at Scotiabank Arena will be held in front of a crowd of no more than 1,000, with limited attendance for team staff and some family and friends, as the Raptors and NHL’s Maple Leafs begin start hosting the game without selling tickets to fans. the next three weeks following the decision of the province of Ontario to limit the capacity of the venue.
In light of the current surge in COVID-19 cases, the Ontario government is cutting attendance at concert venues, arenas and theaters to 1,000 or 50% (whichever is less). ).
The Raptors announced Thursday that they have canceled all tickets for Friday’s game against the Clippers.
Capacity at Scotiabank Arena, home to both teams, dropped to 50% earlier this month, as food or drink sales were also phased out to help enforce stricter mask regulations.
CLASS REPORT ON EXISTING CAPITAL UPDATED pic.twitter.com/hyfd8VDc02
– MLSE PR (@MLSEPR) December 30, 2021
https://www.sbsun.com/2021/12/31/clippers-coach-tyronn-lue-enters-covid-19-protocols/ Clippers Coach Tyronn Lue uses COVID-19 protocols – San Bernardino Sun