A New Zealand mother has hit McDonald’s after her son became ill from eating undercooked chicken nuggets.
As reported by ThingsAnna Cooper ordered the nuggets from McDonald’s in Hillmorton, a suburb south-west of Christchurch.
Cooper said her husband chopped up some of the nuggets to cool them and only realized they were undercooked after her child ate one.
Watch the latest news and stream for free 7plus >>
“[My husband]gave them to him and he hadn’t looked at them, but I noticed that the two that were left on his tray were pink and he had already eaten one,” she said.
Although her son initially seemed fine the next day, he eventually became ill and vomited several times.
Cooper said she worked at McDonald’s so she couldn’t understand why the chicken wasn’t cooked.
“I know everything has its time, everything has its own button … I just don’t know why they don’t check those things,” she said.
“I think homemade chicken nuggets are the only solution now.”
Earlier this month, Stuff reported it was a woman served raw chicken in her burger from an Auckland McDonald’s.
The woman who ate the burger said she suffered from severe stomach cramps.
According to the CDCRaw chicken is often contaminated with bacteria like campylobacter and salmonella, which can cause food poisoning.
Food poisoning symptoms can appear within 30 minutes, several hours, or days after consuming the contaminated food.
These include nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea and fever. Food poisoning can cause serious illness and in some cases even death.
McDonald’s NZ told Stuff it was taking the complaint “extremely seriously” and was investigating the incident.
“The restaurant management has been in contact with the customer to verify the welfare of the customer’s child and to explain the investigation process and the emergency measures taken,” a spokesman said.
“While the incidents involving undercooked products over the past few weeks have been unrelated, as a company, McDonald’s takes any type of food safety complaint extremely seriously.”