Brazilian soccer legend Pele was hospitalized again, this time for treatment for a colon tumour. The 81-year-old’s tumor was first identified in September, and his doctors said Wednesday that he is receiving “follow-up treatment” at Albert Einstein Hospital in São Paulo.
Pele’s doctors told AFP Pele is in “stable” condition and is expected to leave the facility “in the coming days.”
In September, Pele announced that doctors discovered he had a tumor on the right side of his colon during a routine medical exam. The exam has been delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Pele underwent surgery for the tumor on September 4, a procedure that left him hospitalized for a month. He then continued chemotherapy at home.
“Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories by your side,” Pele wrote on Instagram. “I will face this match with a smile on my face, very optimistic and happy to live surrounded by the love of family and friends.”
This is not Pele’s first health scare. He has undergone kidney and prostate surgeries over the past few years and had a failed hip replacement in 2012.
Pele, Brazil’s all-time leading international scorer with 77 goals, is the only male player to win three World Cups. He led Brazil to its first World Cup title in 1958 before winning it again in 1962 and 1970.
In 1977, Pele retired with a career record of 1,279 goals. Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo surpassed that number earlier this year, prompting the Brazilian legend to receive a mild response.
“I admire you so much, I love watching you play and this is no secret to anyone”, Pele wrote on Instagram. “Congratulations on breaking the all-time scoring record in official matches. My only regret is not being able to hug you today.”
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/brazilian-soccer-legend-pele-in-stable-condition-after-being-hospitalized-with-colon-tumor/ Brazilian football legend Pele is in ‘stable’ condition after being hospitalized with a colon tumor