spellbreakthe fantasy battle royale for consoles and PC, will be discontinued in early 2023 after its studio Proletariat was acquired by Blizzard Entertainment to work on it World of Warcraft.
Proletariat on Tuesday thanked the spellbreak Community for supporting an “ambitious project that has seen our team push new frontiers in design and development,” but said the servers for the free-to-play game will be shutting down early next year. The studio did not give a reason for the closure.
Then on Wednesday, VentureBeat reported that Blizzard had bought out the studio and would be using its 100 employees World of Warcraftand the dragonflight Expansion announced in April. VentureBeat said it’s the largest studio acquisition Blizzard has made in the past decade.
“Our vision was to create a fresh multiplayer action-spellcasting game with exceptional moves and class customization that gives players the opportunity to unleash their inner battle mage,” Proletariat said in Tuesday’s note.
Previously, Proletariat was developed and published world zombinationa strategy title for mobile and PC, and Streamlinean arena shooter specially designed for live streaming on Twitch.
spellbreak first launched in June 2018 in Early Access for Windows PC. The full launch took place on September 3, 2020 for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight should be on the market at the end of 2022.
https://www.polygon.com/23188013/spellbreak-shut-down-servers-off-blizzard-buys-proletariat Blizzard acquires Spellbreak Studio to work on World of Warcraft Dragonflight