Big Super Smash Bros. tournament leaves participants sick
A main compartment Super Smash Bros. Tournament has come and gone, but not without drama. After participating in the tournament, a number of melee And Ultimate players have found each other”blow chunks” because of an upset stomach.
Continue reading: The long hated Steve From Minecraft will be banned in competition smash bros
Last weekend Collision 2023 was a big tournament for Super Smash Bros. Melee And Ultimate. Collision took place March 10-12 at the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel in New Jersey and saw all manner of professionals including Jigglypuff Main hungry box and byleth players MKLeo, competing for first place and a few thousand dollars. While Kazuya main thing Puzzle was the overall winner, took home the trophy for first place and qualified for it The Smash Ultimate Summit 6 invitation Later that month, many people at the event won an unfortunate surprise: an illness that many have attributed to food poisoning caused by a gastrointestinal virus.
Norovirus can be the cause
Several Participant have tweeted around the gastrointestinal bug She caught Now that the collision is over. hungrybox wrote that after coming home he had “one of the worst food poisonings ever” and said he “lost 10 pounds in seven hours”. Other, How Super Smash Bros. Analyst Arjun “Junebug” RaoShe also felt terrible.
Although most attributed the stomach bug to it the chicken sandwich sold at the tournament, others have suggested the event may have been infected norovirus, a very contagious virus this reflects the stomach flu. With symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain and vomiting, among others, Norovirus infections have increased sharply during the last year. As reported by the local American news and information platform patch in February, in particular, New Jersey hit hard by the norovirus recently. The disease is very common, spreads easily and quickly, and has multiple causes, including eating contaminated food and water, and touching your face after contact with an infected person, object, or surface. Players tend to bring their own controllers to these events, but with everyone in close proximity to one another, it seems inevitable that such a disease would find favorable conditions there for it to spread.
Collision had health and safety policies in place
That’s not to say the organizers haven’t put in place health and safety guidelines to keep people as safe as possible. Accordingly the Covid protocols of the eventAll participants were required to show “proof of vaccination against Covid-19 at badge collection” or “a negative rapid/PCR-based Covid test with a time stamp not later than 48 hours before the event”. In addition to providing acceptable documentation (physical vaccination card, digital pictures, information on an official state app, etc.), tournament-goers at the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel were required to wear masks “at all times”. Anyone who felt ill in any way was asked not to participate in the tournament. Unfortunately, the anti-Covid measures do not seem to be enough to stop the spread, perhaps because norovirus is a surface-borne virus and not an airborne one.
kotaku has reached out to Collision and the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel for comment.
Continue reading: Nintendo says it cares smash bros fans as the tournament dispute rages on [Update]
Thankfully the suspected norovirus infection decimating all of this Super Smash Bros. Guts of the players is temporary as the illness lasts only one to three days. Hopefully all those affected recover quickly and the next tournament, wherever it’s held, isn’t rocked by a nasty gastrointestinal virus.
Correction: 03/16/23 9:42 am ET: This story previously included the mention and link to a tweet about a player’s experience with The disease that player done in jest. This mention has been removed.
https://kotaku.com/super-smash-bros-melee-ultimate-tournament-sick-virus-1850228945 Big Super Smash Bros. tournament leaves participants sick