A mother who works as an undertaker for a funeral home has revealed the foods she will not allow her children to eat.
Lauren Eliza, a US-based undertaker, said she had seen the deaths of too many people caused by the food, so she banned them from her pantry.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Mortician mom lists foods she won’t let kids eat
For more lifestyle news and videos, go to Lifestyle >>
Top of the list of “bad” foods was popcorn, Eliza said in a viral TikTok video.
The mother said popcorn was “one of the quickest ways to ride in an ambulance” because it posed a real choking hazard.
“These little granules that get stuck in your teeth are so light and are so easily sucked back up your esophagus that you could suck them up or choke on them,” she warned.
“No matter how much you watch your kids, they can still choke on popcorn whether you’re around or not.
“And the super scary thing is that even if you remove all the cores, you can’t figure it out.”
Eliza said the irregular shapes and dry texture of popcorn made it difficult for children to swallow easily.
In Australia, parenting site Tiny Hearts recommends not giving popcorn to children under the age of five because it poses a potential choking hazard.
Eliza also forbade her children from eating peanuts and grapes, which they considered risky.
She suggested that parents who want to give grapes to their children should make sure the grapes are sliced first.
“One of the saddest calls[to the funeral home]was about a kid with a peanut,” she said.
“They put their child to bed not knowing there was a piece of peanut in her lip and[the child]didn’t wake up the next morning.”
Eliza said these types of accidents can happen “when you least expect it.”
“Don’t just assume it will happen to other parents,” she said.
“Please protect your children.”
Other parents took to the comments section to share some horror stories – and similar warnings.
One person said their kids shouldn’t eat popcorn, grapes, or “chewy cheese on pizza.”
“Saved three kids from choking on that cheese scares me,” they said.
Another said her father was a paramedic who regularly attended to children choking on popcorn and hot dogs.
“My husband had a friend in college who choked on popcorn while eating it while lying down. Don’t eat lying down,” advised another.
“It makes me realize how lucky I was as a kid. I used to smuggle candy and hold it in my mouth when I went to bed,” wrote another.
“My friend’s husband is a general surgeon and I remember him telling me how difficult it was to remove popcorn that got stuck in the airways of young children,” said another.
In a post about choking hazards for young children, Tiny Hearts Education suggests the following tips for parents.
1. Cut round foods into quarters so they don’t get stuck in your child’s throat.
2. Roll slippery foods like avocado in breadcrumbs for extra grip – mango rolled in grated coconut is another example.
3. Grate solid foods, such as apples, so that the baby can enjoy them easily.
For more engaging lifestyle content, visit 7Life on Facebook
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/mortician-mum-reveals-the-deadly-foods-she-refuses-to-give-her-children–c-9029414 A mortician mom reveals the ‘deadly’ foods she doesn’t want to give her kids